ABC Friends is a not-for-profit volunteer-based organisation.
is for a fearless, independent ABC valued by all Australians and fully supported by government.
To represent the community interest in defending and promoting the vital role of the ABC as a national public media organisation that:
- is essential for a healthy democracy
- is independent of government influence, commercial sponsorship and advertising
- is accountable to the public
- offers distinctive, high quality programs and services
- promotes Australian culture in all its diversity
- is accessible and relevant to all Australians
How we work
- We influence government policies on the ABC and ensure that it is fully funded to fulfil its role as Australia’s national public media organisation as set out in the ABC Charter.
- We campaign to persuade the public and political candidates of the importance of the ABC.
- We inform the Australian public about issues affecting the ABC and public media.
- We conduct research into emerging issues in public media and to better understand the environment in which the ABC operates.
- We partner with like-minded organisations to conduct research, campaign, and communicate with the public.
- We collaborate with, support and coordinate the work of the state and territory divisions of ABC Friends.
- We are non-partisan.